30 years of integration: success stories, challenges, and unused opportunities
Moderator – Eva-Maria Asari
The organisers reserve the right to make changes to the conference schedule.
9.00-9.30 Registration, morning coffee
9.30-10.00 Opening of the conference, opening remarks
10.00-12.00 Speeches and panel discussion on theoretical approaches in integration research. Moderator – Ave Lauren (European Migration Network, Estonia).
- Raivo Vetik (Tallinn University, Estonia) “Dialogical relationalism in conceptualizing the notion of ‘integration’”
- Lea M. Klarenbeek (EMMA, Holland) “Conceptualizing integration: a relational approach”
- Aija Lulle (Loughborough University, UK) “Unneeded, unwanted: disrupting taken for granted measures of integration”
- Adrian Favell (University of Leeds, UK) “Integration, Colonialism and the Modernist Development Paradigm”
13.00-14.30 Panel discussion “20 years of research. Integration monitoring”. Moderator – Kristjan Kaldur (Institute of Baltic Studies, Estonia).
- Marju Lauristin (University of Tartu, Estonia)
- Raivo Vetik (Tallinn University, Estonia)
- Triin Vihalemm (University of Tartu, Estonia)
- Kats Kivistik (Institute of Baltic Studies, Estonia)
14.30-15.00 Coffee break
15.00-16.30 Youth discussion on integration. Moderator – Sigrid Solnik (SpeakSmart, Estonia)
8.30-9.00 Registration, morning coffee
9.00-11.00 Speeches and panel discussion on integration processes in European countries. Moderator – Justyna Frelak (ICMPD, Austria)
- Birgit Glorius (Chemnitz University of Technology, Germany) “Integrate us first!”: Integration and Diversity Development in Re-Unified Germany
- Pasi Saukkonen (City of Helsinki Executive Office, Urban Research and Statistics unit, Finland) “Making one from many: integration of immigrants in Finland”
- Giedrė Blažytė (Lithuanian Centre for Social Sciences, Lithuania) “Migration in Lithuania: changing migration patterns and response to them in the three decades since 1991”
- Inese Šūpule (University of Latvia, Latvia) “Integration processes in Latvia since 1991: Survey Based Analysis”
11.00-11.20 Coffee break
11.20-13.20 Speeches and panel discussion on challenges to integration. Moderator – Aet Kiisla (Narva College of the University of Tartu, Estonia)
- Gianni D’Amato (University of Neuchâtel, Switzerland) “Discrimination, the True Challenge to an Inclusive Society. A View from Multicultural Switzerland”.
- Siiri Silm (University of Tartu, Estonia) “Ethnic differences in people’s activity space based on mobile positioning data”
- Svetlana Ridala (Recommender OÜ and Kool 21. Sajandil, Estonia) “Language Skills and Labour Market Outcomes”
- Justyna Frelak (ICMPD, Vienna) “Communities of Practice as Drivers of a new Agenda on Integration”
14.00–15.00 Political debate between Estonian politicians. Moderator – Neeme Raud (Estonia)